North American TF-51D Mustang
G-TFSI Contrary Mary
The North American Aviation P-51 Mustang is an American long-range, single-seat fighter and fighter-bomber used during World War II and the Korean War, among other conflicts.
This aircraft, G-TFSI, was built as a P-51D with construction number 124-44703 just a little too late to see combat service in World War Two. Indeed, this was one of the last Mustangs built at North American Aviation’s Dallas, Texas, plant. Details of her post war service career are limited, but there is photographic evidence from September 1951 of her serving with the 45th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron at Kimpo, South Korea, during the Korean War.
By late 1951 the 45th TRS were replacing their ageing Mustangs with RF-80 Shooting Star jets, so this aircraft was shipped back the USA to serve with the US Air National Guard until 1956. Around this time she slips off the radar until January 1999 when she re-appears in North Dakota as a restoration project. The airframe was moved to Chino, California for a full restoration where the decision was made to modify her to two-seat TF-51D configuration.
Packard Merlin V1650-7
Hamilton Standard 24D50-105
Presented in superb condition in the livery scheme of “Contrary Mary” From Duxford’s 78th Fighter group.
Trig TY96 8.33khz transceiver
Trig TT31 mode S transponder
Emergency fuel system
Having served in the Korean War and the US Air National Guard, this aircraft was converted to a TF-51D in 1999 and presented as ‘Miss Velma’. Thereafter she become a well-known, well-loved and a very well-respected example for many years. In July 2017 she suffered an engine failure and made a forced landing. Following this she was rebuilt by the hugely respected warbird specialist Air Leasing (save for the wing which was refurbished by ‘Pacific Fighters’) and flew again in July 2018 as ‘Contrary Mary’.
Copyright The Aircraft Sales Company Ltd