T-6G Texan

G-TEXN

SOLD

DOWNLOAD FULL SPECS SHEET

INTRODUCTION

The Texan or “Harvard” if originally built for the UK, is an American designed aircraft used extensively as a single-engine advanced fighter trainer for military pilots transitioning from low powered primary trainers to high performance front line fighters.


This aircraft ‘G-TEXN’ was assembled in 1950 as a T-6G and served with the United Sates Air Force as an advanced trainer posted in both Texas and Florida.


Following military life the aircraft went into storage at the world famous military preservation compound in Tucson, Arizona before eventually being discharged for civilian life.


Today the aircraft is operated by a very experienced classic aircraft and warbird training academy and is based at the historic Goodwood Aerodrome in the south of England.

Manufacturer

North American

Model

T-6G Texan

Registration

G-TEXN

Serial Number

168-176

Year Constructed

1950

Airframe Hours

6775

Engine

Pratt & Whitney R-1340-AN-1

Engine Hours

813 Since complete overhaul

Propeller

Hamilton Standard 12D40-6101/12

Livery

The aircraft is presented in the livery of 601 SQN / Y-HT which

consists of a silver base colour with yellow flashes.

Avionics

TY91 Comm (8.33 kHz)

TT21 Transponder (Mode S)

USB powered charging ports

Equipment

History

It's believed that G-TEXN's airframe was originally constructed

during the Second World War as an AT-6, but during the year

of 1950 some 1,800 airframes were taken aside to be remanufactured as T-6G's. This process included a number of

design improvements including an updated cockpit layout,

increased fuel capacity, a steerable tailwheel, updated radios

and a 600hp engine.


The aircraft was initially posted to the Air Training Command at

James Connelly Air Force Base, Texas, USA in the summer of

1951 and was assigned to the 3565th Basic Pilot Training Wing.

A month later it was moved over to a similar unit at the Bartow

Air Force Base in Florida where it stayed until the summer of

1956 when it was relocated to the Aerospace Maintenance and

Regeneration Group at the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base,

Tucson, Arizona for preservation and storage (aka the

“Boneyard”).


Following its eventual discharge from Davis-Monthan, the

aircraft returned to Florida in 1963 to begin its civilian life. In

1965 the aircraft spent some time in Chicago before moving in

1976 to Virginia. But UK life beckoned, for in 1980 a UK

company based at Speke, Liverpool purchased the aircraft and

relocated it to England. The aircraft has since remained in the

UK and has most recently enjoyed life back as a training aircraft

based out of Goodwood Aerodrome and flying over the Sussex

countryside.

Copyright The Aircraft Sales Company Ltd